The Power of Probability
New! Grades 6-8
In The Power of Probability, an installment in the Expect the Unexpected With Math® series, students follow Rick and Athena as they use probability concepts to start and operate a business.
Free Printable Math Lesson Plan
Bonus Online Activities!
The Power of Probability is designed to supplement existing instruction of these probability topics:
- Strategies to identify favorable and total outcomes;
- Calculating simple probability;
- Sampling and proportions;
- Calculating compound probability; and
- Using probability concepts to solve real-world problems.
- Understand that probability can be expressed as a fraction, decimal or percentage;
- Use tree diagrams, tables and the fundamental counting principle to calculate probability;
- Understand that proportions can be used to make predictions about a population based on a sample;
- Identify the difference between outcomes and events;
- Add the probabilities of the outcomes that are part of an event to determine the probability of an event;
- Use a tree diagram to derive the formula for compound probability; and
- Use the formula for compound probability to calculate the probability of multiple independent events.
The Power of Probability is aligned with NCTM and common core state standards (pdf).
Click here for more Foundation classroom materials on probability.
About Expect the Unexpected With Math®
The dynamic lessons and activities in the Expect the Unexpected With Math® series use story lines that students find interesting to show them the fun and relevance of math. Motivate your students to achieve math success in the classroom and in real-world situations outside of school!
View the other installments in this series:
Contact the Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org for availability of printed materials or to inquire about an actuary presenting this program to your classroom.
Use the Classroom Guide for Actuaries to present The Power of Probability to a classroom near you.