How to Build Your Actuary Resume
June 20, 2023
By: The Actuarial Foundation
Building an effective actuary resume is crucial for those seeking a career in the actuarial field. The resume should highlight the candidate’s educational background, relevant work experience, and technical skills. Here are some tips on how to build an actuary resume that stands out:
- Start with a strong summary statement: The summary statement should be concise and clear, highlighting the candidate’s strengths and what they can bring to the table.
- Showcase your education: List your educational qualifications, including the degree, university, and year of graduation. It is recommended to also mention the courses or projects that are relevant to the actuarial field.
- Highlight relevant work experience: List out your work experience, including the job title, company name, and duration of employment. It is important to highlight work experience that is relevant to the actuarial field.
- Emphasize technical skills: Actuaries need to be proficient in programming languages such as R, Python, and SAS. Make sure to highlight your technical skills, including the software and tools that you are proficient in.
- Make sure your exam results are prominently listed on your resume. Results show that you understand the exam process needed to become an actuary, which can give you an advantage over others new to the field.
Learn more about what it means to be an actuary here.
- Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS): https://www.casact.org/newsletter/article/resume-writing-tips-throughout-your-career